Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

I have chosen 5 pieces of interactive design to analyse as part of the ppd module. I had trouble finding relevant examples so I hope these will be ok.

These scrabble cushions are by designer Stephen Reed. I have looked at these before, but the reason they intrigue me is because of how simplistic yet effective they are. Anyone who's anyone has played scrabble before and these cushions bring back memories of sitting around with the family playing the game. I can't think of anything that is as simplistic as this that has such as aesthetic appeal. Whether they are used for what they should be or to make rude words I love them all the same. They are such a cool idea, and cant think why I didn't think of something like this before.

This is a bottle design for Diesel for their new fragrance. It has both its good and bad points. I love the shape of the bottle but I can imagine the kind of people that would be attracted to it. Out of context there are obvious signs of visual quality. In context, I can see chavs scrambling to buy it. The symbolism suggests strength and power, which is boasted by the contents which is encased by this clenched fist. However, it also stands for pop culture and yobbish behaviour with the sovereign ring on the finger. On the surface, the product looks the part but it will just get brought down due to that visual appeal, and the love that chavs have for all things big and bold.

This next example comes from the world renowned agency Saatchi & Saatchi. Aesthetically this is just another poster but due to the positioning and popularity of the spot where its positioned the people become part of the campaign. Its simply genious. Nothing much I can say about it other than that though.

It's situated in a shopping center in Jakarta.












The next piece I chose is a street art example by Epoxy, Mr Talion, Baveux & Kone (weird names I know but this is all I could find).

I chose it because it not only appeals to me as a designer, so I can relate to it, it also shows how design tackles debate and controversy. Photo retouching is common and is taken to real extremes today, this piece makes people aware and remember that these posters are not a true representation, they are made to look perfect. I think it's a clever way to stick two fingers up to the celebrity culture.

The next example of interactive design is by Steve Haslip, a graphic designer from Wivelsfield Green. He includes a short description with this that reads 'The concept was fairly simple: I buy t-shirts online and they always come wrinkled and I always run out of coat-hangers. So I designed a sustainable, reusable way to send and keep your t-shirts. As you open the package you create a coat hanger. The packaging could be made from recycled material whether it is card or plastic and the only waste is the green tear-away tab.' I agree it is not designed with aesthetic appeal in mind but its practicality outweighs the need for this appeal. It is what it is, and means that we don't have to throw away yet more packaging.

I think you'll agree its a neat idea and shows that design is not always about making things look pretty.









Here is a bonus example. This is an adidas billboard which has been created to promote adidas' attempt at being enviromentally consciencious. On the surface it looks like a good move, as big brands such as nike and adidas have been critised in the past for using certain materials and this was done to boost the sustainability of the products they market. However, on closer inspection I found that the plants and flowers were actually plastic. I suppose they have done this for minimum upkeep but it just seems like a bit of an own goal really.

(0) Comments