Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

I have really tried to tackle this project in the right way. Take inspiration from secondary sources, draw on ideas from primary research and integrate a style of design that suits my target audience.

After randomly selecting 'how to play 20 questions' I was really pleased. It really could have been much worse. I had a few ideas and I have managed to work in two main ideas I had and evolve the initial concept I had. My product was aimed at children and teenagers on long journeys. This seemed the most likely situation that I thought where they would want to know how to play 20 questions.

Buses and trains were a good place to start but then I started to think about children going on holiday with parents, and I then I started to develop my ideas to become more family orientated. This seemed to fit better as the designs I was creating for children would not have been appreciated by teenagers. However, younger children could still identify with a more 'grown up' approach because of the natural aspirations children have to be older.

I did a little market research to see where my target audience went and what they did, and where they eat. The fast food restaurants such as McDonald's and Pizza Hut seemed to be most children's choice of food. I went to these places to ask about what they provide in terms of entertainment for children, and got a sample from each restaurant. Most of the things I got were pictures which the child could colour in. I found that most went on holiday and most were bored on long journeys. Many of the older children listened to mp3 players or played games on their phones.

This made me also think about how much news coverage is dedicated to children watching television and playing video games. The natural progression from there seemed to be that I should devise a campaign to give children and families the opportunity to talk more through the use of the game. This meant kids were occupied but were also bonding with parents and siblings.

I decided in the end to create a card, that was like the design of a credit card which the child could carry around with them. It would perhaps make them feel important and fulfil their aspirations of maturity and independence a little. The instructions are on the back of the card. I took inspiration from the Chris Collenberger illustrations for the logo I made. I chose to use 20Q because that is what the game has always been referred too as.

The next step was to create a poster for buses and trains where children could text the number on the poster and recieve instructions on how to play via their mobile phone. This may also indirectly appeal to a bigger audience and is also a way to get people talking on public transport instead of burying their heads in the metro or closing themselves off to the rest of the world via mp3. I decided to use a 'colouring in' style for the typeface because of the research I where I collected stuff for kids from McDonald's, etc. I found colouring pictures, and books to be prominant features in all of the childrens entertainment packs.

The design decisions, I feel, were well informed and help tie down my audience. The use of colour, typeface, layout and logo would appeal to a younger audience, and the language use would appeal more toward the parental side of my target. The reason for using slang was to make the design more personal and the language could be changed for different areas of the u.k.

Overall, I am impressed with how much thought and time I put into this project. I feel I have got strong resolutions built on a solid concept. This was one of the more enjoyable briefs I have had.

Edit: had my crit/evaluation today and some issues regarding target audience were raised. I didn't really make clear that the target audience had been developed from children who were bored on long journeys to families. Hopefully my evaluation clears up any doubts people had.

(0) Comments