Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

The layout design of David Carson surely pushes the boundaries to the extreme, where type and grid is concerned. There has to be a carefully laid out grid under the huge amount layers Carson's work appears in. What I have learnt from all the books I have looked at, for my research, is that the grid is only guide and that it should not limit creativity. I think the grid helps us layout huge amounts of body copy effectively so it can be read and understood fully. I think how, as designers, construct the rest of the layout is more about aesthetics than functionality.

Carson's work arguably is more aesthetic than logical or practical anyway, as you can see by the examples. However, I think this amount of creativity and spontaneous mark making gives the spread character and I for one would be more inclined to read it or want to work it out. I suppose it all depends on your audience. People who are reading instructions or analytical figures would feel the functionality outweighs the aesthetic but someone like us who want everything to visually engaging would want just that in a magazine spread.

This spread was actually designed by Jonathan Kruse. The article is actually about David Carson and it encompasses his style in it but also shows a more conventional approach for the body copy but then by rotating it slightely it becomes a little rebellious, much like Carson's aproach.

(0) Comments