Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

1. What practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I've definitely learnt that well documented and appropriate research can inform your design decisions. For example if I had not have done those questionnaires for the can project I may have not thought about creating the book I did. 

I have also learnt that research does not have to just come from books or the internet, and that it is not just a pile of stuff we have to do and then leave behind. I think getting peoples opinions and using them to base an idea around can only be a good thing. A lot of design is opinion based but it is too dangerous to assume what you want. That is how you end up with a law suit, if what you say is proven to be wrong. 

I also tried to cope with other personalities with regards to our group project. The last module I had a group who hardly knew each other so would all take a step back, and I found it easier to get my point across. In this we totally went in a different direction to what my research was based on and I tried to get on with questionnaires and research but I didn't have so much creative input on this brief. Instead I did lots of questionnaires and gathered evidence of crowded public transport. 

2. What approaches to/methods of problem solving have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I believe that my approach to this module has been more of a simulated approach. My approach to problem solving has not changed a great deal, I just think I have developed and gained a better understanding of what process I have to go through to justify my solution to a problem.

My own critical skills have helped me develop my ideas further and I can do this regularly on the blog I have. Lately, it's also been good to have feedback from other people on there. This helps me stay on track and allows us all to have mini online ongoing crits    

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
My strengths are definitely in the quality of work I produced. I have developed a little from the last module to create more meaningful concepts to work alongside my eye for detail. I organise myself quite well too. I think my time management is effective. I do stay up till past midnight most of the time and I still find time to get the work in. 

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I know my weaknesses are in my initial idea generation. I don't know why but I find it hard to create ideas fast in a short period of time. My mind goes blank and I'm left thinking about more meaningful ideas. I should learn to just jot down or sketch all the ideas I have rather than wait for the right one to come along. 

By that time I have one idea that I love and can develop it into something quite nice but I realise that I had nothing of any importance to fall back on. I suppose I am quite narrow minded and bullish in my approach and that is something I have to work on. Even if the idea is not all that I should just put it down anyway.

I don't feel as though I have done as well on this module, and I will put it down to personal experience, but then again I don't feel like I have slacked off at all. I feel like I have worked as hard as I ever have, I just seem to have over thought things sometimes.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1. Make sure I hold on to my own work
2. More idea generation
3. Link my secondary research better
4. Break my work down and set mini deadlines
5. Treat all briefs with the same amount of time (photoshop brief)

Are there any things we could have done differently that would have benefitted your progress?
I felt a little let down by the digital print room, as I tried to print for over a week and it was never open, but then there is no way round this other than to book sessions in there to print finals. 

6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(5=excellent, 1=poor) 
Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 5
Motivation  - 4
Commitment - 4
Quantity of work produced - 3
Quality of work produced - 4
Contribution to the group - 3

Overall, I feel exhausted and anxious to see what comes of this module but I really can't help but think I should have done more, but I don't know if I could. 

(0) Comments