Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

In my opinion type is underestimated by most people who use it, even graphic designers. It's as though it's taken for granted. 'uh I'm making a poster' 'right ill use this font' 'yeah it looks good'... Come on. Type designers deserve lots of credit, type didn't just happen. Even I used to use type without thinking or even considering the craftsmanship.

But what is type.. I'll tell you, its everything. It bails designers out sometimes. When our visuals aren't quite working and we need a typeface to change the way the audience view what we are trying to communicate. Type is such a powerful tool if used correctly and can make or break a piece of work. I have been guilty of using ghastly typefaces, but they were only ghastly because I used them for the wrong piece of work. That grungy font does not just go with anything.


Whilst at the library, I decided to pick out a few examples of typographic design that I liked. This design by Dainippon Type Organization is a classic example of type generation that comes from one form. They used a cube over and over to generate this typeface and makes for very interesting results. This piece goes to show that inspiration can come from in a form and the simplest shapes can result in awesome finished results. So what if this typeface couldn't fit into any other format without detracting. This typeface was made for a reason. To stand alone and has not been created simply to read.

I love it.



This piece by Stefan Sagmeister looks like a poster for some sort of German art exhibition. The layout doesn't really appeal to me greatly but the type at the top does. Who would have thought to use chips to make a typeface, but oddly enough it works. When I flicked through and saw it, it reminded me of a type idea I had for Leigh's font. I made a typeface out of Quavers and it did look pretty damn good.

Looking back at this over all I would question the legibility of the font at the top and the readability of the block of text on the right. The wallpaper
pattern certainly detracts from the piece.







The final piece I am looking at is by Deanne Cheuk. Following on from the first type brief I was given which looked at manipulating a typeface I thought this piece could be classed in a similar category. Based on what looks like the Rockwell typeface, this typeface could be seen as intriguing and misleading. I think you would associate rock well with a old western cowboy culture. The fonts weight and unslightly serifs further give that impression. However, when filled with this multicoloured pattern, suddenly the typeface looks modern and interesting. I would no longer associate this with a old western culture. The pattern looks as though it should be a associated with an ethnic origin or background. Hence, the reason it seems misleading.



The lack of colour in this version doesn't detract from the overall quality of the piece.












(0) Comments