Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

I recently had a couple of crits to discuss where my ideas were going for this book design brief. The first one entailed four people evaluating my work whilst I wasn't there. They wrote my feedback on the sheet and gave me a mark out of 20.

I was suprised but also pleased to find that they appreciated my ideas and found my book interesting. I got 19/20 which was the highest in the group, which was both satisfying but also embarrassing. Having good feedback was great but I didn't get any comments on how I could improve which would have been nice. However, this also tells me that the idea I had was good and I just have to build and expand on what I have. Fred suggested looking at other cans and look at content, but I feel that this work should be dedicated to drinks cans only as I feel it will be too general if I expand the topic to incorporate other cans.

The thing that I now need to do is too look at ways in which I can make this book more interesting in terms of its interactivity and its design. This could be in the way it opens, how it is bound, stock and other things too.

The second crit meant that I could present my ideas to a small group and get feedback that way. I decided that I wanted to incorporate a flipbook into book I already had. This would be placed as a watermark on the opposing pages to the artworks in the book. This means the reader can read the book and then flip from back to front and see a nice animation of a can opening.

The group liked the idea but wondered if this could work as a seperate book. I agreed, so I am beginning to look at flipbook design and also work out how I can make two seperate editions of my book.

(5) Comments

  1. nichola On 26 January 2009 at 21:13

    I was one of the four marking your book - sorry we didn't help you much with ideas! we felt you knew what you were doing with it and it was a really original idea so couldn't think of how to better it! Oh and sorry for embarrassing you :-)

     
    Adam Townend On 26 January 2009 at 22:07

    you did help. made me think i was thinkin along the right lines.

     
    EdWebb On 27 January 2009 at 19:34

    You said you wanted to make your book more intereactive. I was looking a the new post you put up about the hugging books and the book cup, which has a direct and obvious relation to it's content. Have you thought about the posibility of how the book will open? perhaps make a crafted ring pull, or even make the book a can shape which you have to open like a can to get into.

     
    EdWebb On 27 January 2009 at 19:39

    Also i found this funny video about how to open a book. just for a laugh.

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ueO0o8BwsmI

     
    Adam Townend On 28 January 2009 at 20:09

    yea, i've thought about it ed, but not put it into practice. Maybe its something I can work with though.

    The video is a keeper too